China Shipping to raise cargo rates up to $300/TEU
"Companies will raise rates, not because the market has recovered, but because the shipping lines have the resolution to do this," China Shipping managing director Huang Xiaowen said.
"We have found that if we cut rates, load factors don't increase," he said in an interview in Shanghai yesterday.
The busiest season for sea-cargo box carriers traditionally starts on July 1, when rates are raised to cash in on European and US retailers stocking up for the back-to-school and holiday-shopping periods. Container rates have fallen in the past year, partly because retailers are paring orders on weak consumer spending.
"This peak season is going to be very short," CSCL chairman Li Shaode said in an interview in Shanghai yesterday. All 20 of the analysts tracked by Bloomberg covering the shipping line expect it to make a full-year loss. The median estimate is a 2.4 billion yuan ($351 million) deficit.
China Shipping will raise its rates by as much as $300 per 20-foot container from July 1, Huang said.
The container line's stock jumped as much as 9 percent to HK$2.11 in Hong Kong on Friday, the biggest intraday climb since June 3. It closed at HK$2.10, boosting its gain this year to 79 percent, compared with a 29 percent increase for the benchmark Hang Seng Index.
- China, Laos and Thailand Railway Starts, Yunnan International Transportation System Takes Shape2010-07-14
- China, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand Getting Closer for the Port Construction and Shipping Cooperation in Lancang - Mekong River2010-07-14
- China's COSCO takes over container business at Greek port2010-07-13
- China June CPI may continue to fall2010-07-12
- China's business climate index gains in Q22010-07-09
- China reports 48% increase in H1 auto sales2010-07-09
- Chinalco eyes stake in mine in Mongolia2010-07-09
- China reduces rare earth export quota by 72%2010-07-09
- China's Moutai, the new trend for investment2010-07-09
- China's full-year auto sales seen to rise2010-07-08
- China to develop 13 solar power projects in western region2010-07-07
- China to issue 29.97 billion yuan of book-entry T-bonds2010-07-07
- China's H1 auto sales up 30% year-on-year to 7.18m2010-07-05
- China's gold output up 6% in Jan-May2010-07-03
- China's Qingdao Port sees foreign trade throughput up 21%2010-07-01
- China Huadian plans $14.7b energy projects in Xinjiang2010-07-01
- China to Invest RMB800m to Support Development of Service Outsourcing Enterprises2010-06-29
- China motorcycle exports top 3 mln units in first 5 months2010-06-17
- China takes heart from trendsetter FDI figures2010-06-14
- China's May exports climb nearly 50%2010-06-10
- China's eighth environment exchange opens2010-06-03
- China may unveil private equity regulations this year2010-06-01
- China's ZTE eyes 30% revenue growth2010-05-18
- China gives private aye for key state companies2010-05-14
- China sets foreign trade goal over next decade2010-04-19
- China's foreign ETF plan signals market reform2010-03-09
- China - ASEAN Free Trade Area business portal was officially opened2010-01-12
- China's investment in ASEAN to rapidly increase2010-01-08
- China to become 2nd largest trade partner of Philippines as recovery takes hold2009-12-31
- Sime Darby- Sime Darby to expand China operations2009-12-23
- China’s Absorption of FDI in January-October 20092009-12-06
- China's Huawei to set up training centers in Indonesia2009-11-13
- China completes2009-09-28
- China still top destination for FDI2009-06-10
- China-South Asia Trade to exceed US$ 75 billion by end of 20102009-06-08
- China urged for investment in South Asian Countries2009-06-07
- China makes breakthrough in coffee exports2009-03-01
- China investment guide2006-07-18