RMB daily trading band may widen to 3 pct: economists
The State Council, or China's Cabinet, announced on July 24 that it will broaden the RMB daily trading range but did not disclose more details or the timeline.
Currently Chinese banks can exchange yuan at the foreign exchange (FX) spot market at 2 percent above or below the central parity rate against the U.S. dollar announced by the China Foreign Exchange Trading System each trading day.
Liang Hong, a macro analyst with CICC, wrote in a research note the plan is likely to be implemented within the next 2 months by widening the band to 3 percent around the fixing rate.
If confirmed by the central bank, the move will mark an important step to let the market play a larger role in determining the yuan's relative prices, Liang said.
Giving out a similar forecast, a report of Huatai Securities noted the action showed China has began hastening its financial reform in response to the vulnerability of a financial system exposed by the volatile equity market.
China takes a gradual and steady pace in raising its currency's daily trading limit, from 0.3 percent in 1994 to 0.5 percent in 2007 and 1 percent in 2012 to the latest 2 percent in 2014.
Both institutions believe a widened trading band will be a boon to the yuan's inclusion into the currency basket of the Special Drawing Rights (SDR) of the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
Liang said the move will reduce the technical barriers, while Huatai Securities thought it is another step towards the liberalization of the currency and showed a positive signal that China will continue to push forward reforms.
The IMF is conducting its five-year review of the SDR basket this year and will decide whether to include the yuan into its basket this fall.
The yuan appreciated by more than 30 percent after the central bank loosened its grip on the exchange rate in 2005, and analysts believe the value of the yuan has reached equilibrium.
The central parity rate of the yuan stood at 6.1176 against the U.S. dollar on Monday.
Liang said policymakers are still cautious when reforming FX.
"China's financial markets, especially its FX market, remain underdeveloped and do not seem well-prepared for even greater exchange rate fluctuations," Liang said, "the People's Bank of China (PBOC) may not let the dollar peg go any time soon."
However, "an increasingly market-based exchange rate regime implies that the PBOC will gradually withdraw from FX interventions." Liang added.
Analysts expect the RMB's exchange rate may stay on the weak side in the short term after the band widening but will not fall into a losing streak in the long run.
- Bankers at Dianchi forum note nuances settling trade in RMB2010-07-29
- RMB internationalization a delicate issue2010-08-20
- Inauguration of Trail Operation of Yunnan Cross-border RMB Settlement Center in 27th July2010-07-29
- 38 Cambodian enterprises to attend 3rd China-South Asia Expo2015-05-25
- 30 nations approved as AIIB founding members2015-04-01
- RMB clearing bank launched in Canada2015-03-24
- RMB enters top five of world payments currencies2015-02-04
- RMB enters top five of world payments currencies2015-01-29
- RMB exchange rate to be stable in 2015: CICC2014-12-30
- RMB to become world's 3rd largest in middle term: Chinese institute2014-10-16
- RMB internationalization boosts trade, investment: vice FM minister2014-10-09
- RMB to be third largest international currency by 2020: report2014-07-22
- RMB in full vogue in South Korea2014-07-02
- RMB depreciation not long-term: expert2014-05-08
- RMB to be global reserve currency by 2030: Economist2014-04-10
- RMB goes further on market-oriented course in 20142014-01-17
- RMB clearing services to debut in UK2013-12-03
- RMB joins list of most-traded currencies: BIS2013-09-09
- RMB status moving closer to USD and Euro2013-07-15
- RMB appreciation stimulates outbound travel2013-06-19
- 300 yuan round-trip tickets to Kathmandu,Mandalay or Chiang Mai from Kunming2013-03-04
- RMB appreciation room limited despite recent strengthening: experts2012-10-25
- RMB 800 million to build agricultural products trade center in Kunming2012-10-16
- RMB deposits in Singapore at around 60 bln yuan: C. Bank2012-06-14
- RMB Settlement Service gains endorsement in Malaysia2012-04-26
- RMB globalization "unstoppable," but with speculative risks: China Ex-Im Bank president2012-03-13
- RMB becomes new international currency: HK financial secretary2012-01-17
- 334 Yunnan enterprises invest in foreign nations2012-01-11
- RMB's appreciation to remain gradual2011-09-13
- 3th GMS Economic Corridor Week to be held in June2011-06-03
- RMB3 bln to be invested for Zhaotong’s industry development2011-03-07
- Survey: RMB popular for overseas settlement2011-01-25
- 3rd ring road of Kunming opens for trial use2010-12-29
- 3rd China Forum on Green Development unfolds in Kunming2010-12-13
- RMB 2 bln put to build Pan-Asia auto parts trade city in Yunnan2010-12-07
- 30,000 new jobs to be created by Luosiwan of Kunming2010-12-01
- RMB 107.39 bln from other provinces used in Yunnan in 1st three quarters of 20102010-11-03
- 300 reservoirs reinforced in Yunnan2010-10-11
- 31st ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly to kick off in Vietnam2010-09-18
- 35th meeting of ASEAN-China TNC held at Tengchong2010-06-30
- RMB500 million Dalian fund for SMEs2010-06-25