Myanmar introduces e-visa to boost tourist arrivals
The formal launch of e-visa came after a trial period in August for a limited number of applications.
The system will ensure all tourists destined to Myanmar to get e-visa within five days.
According to the hotels and tourist authorities, the number of tourist arrivals in Myanmar reached 1.6 million in the first seven months of this year, up 43 percent from the same period of last year.
Since taking office by the civilian government in 2011, tourist arrivals in Myanmar remarkably grew from 1.06 million in 2012 to 2. 04 million in 2013 and it targets 3 million tourists in 2015 and over 7 million by 2020 under the 2013-2020 Myanmar main tourist project.
Of the foreign visitors, those from Asia accounted for 70 percent with others from Europe, America, Africa and the Middle East also growing.
Myanmar's tourist development is also highlighted by the visit of foreign tourists to Myanmar's world-known Shwedagon Pagoda and the number of visitors to the pagoda reached 245,586 in the first half of 2014, up 30,000 from the same period of last year.
Foreign exchange earnings through tourist increased from 534 million U.S. dollars in 2012 to 926 million U.S. dollars in 2013 and it is projected to reach over one billion U.S. dollars in 2014.
The World Travel and Tourism Council said Myanmar's hotels and tourist sector currently contributes 3.7 percent to the country's gross domestic product (GDP) , estimating that the percentage could reach 9.5 by the end of 2014.
- Myanmar to improve petroleum recovery with foreign, local companies2014-08-04
- Myanmar holds symposium to mark Five Principles of Peaceful Coexistence2014-05-21
- Myanmar to host 2014 ASEAN Business and Investment Summit2014-05-06
- Myanmar vice president calls for developing SMEs in southeastern region2014-03-17
- Myanmar to host first-ever ASEAN Youth forum2014-02-13
- Myanmar plans to build one more overpass in Yangon2014-02-11
- Myanmar president calls for development of traditional medicine2013-12-31
- Myanmar to introduce travel insurance services to foreign visitors2013-12-31
- Myanmar launches travel master card for local citizens2013-11-08
- Myanmar ministry, Chinese company sign MoU on Clean Development Management project2013-09-03
- Myanmar-China gas pipeline starts to deliver gas to China2013-07-29
- Myanmar gov't signs amendment contract with local, foreign investors for copper mine project2013-07-25
- Myanmar to transform Mandalay Int'l airport into logistics hub2013-07-23
- Myanmar plans to disseminate agricultural knowledge for farmers via air2013-07-11
- Myanmar introduces one more border trade point with Thailand2013-05-23
- Myanmar allows business companies to open foreign exchange counters2013-03-13
- Myanmar's border trade hits 2.7 bln USD in 10 months2013-02-01
- Myanmar agro-tech expo to be held in Yangon in March2013-01-23
- Myanmar's marine export earns over 470 mln USD in 9 months2013-01-17
- Myanmar-Yunnan Trade Tops $1.7 Billion2012-12-17
- Myanmar needs to harness energy resources to power growth: ADB2012-11-30
- Myanmar to hold second green economy forum2012-11-09
- Myanmar global investment forum held in Nay Pyi Taw2012-09-14
- Myanmar, Japan make progress in economic cooperation2012-09-03
- Myanmar to introduce int'l bank cards services successively2012-08-31
- Myanmar to launch Yangon ICT fair next month2012-08-02
- Myanmar extends commercial tax exemption to July2012-02-03
- Myanmar braces for more tourists in open season2011-09-02
- Myanmar becomes Yunnan's largest trading partner2011-05-20
- Myanmar-China border trade fair launched in Muse2011-05-03
- Myanmar's liberalization of banking sector attracts more foreign bankers engagement2011-03-23
- Myanmar to open media corners to develop media industry2011-03-15
- Myanmar, Malaysian entrepreneurs to promote business cooperation2011-03-07
- Myanmar airline launches Yangon-Guangzhou direct flight service2011-03-05
- Myanmar airline launches route to Cambodia's Angkor Wat2011-02-25
- Myanmar will launch direct flights to Cambodia2011-02-11
- Myanmar to privatize 90 pct of state-owned industries this year2011-01-13
- Myanmar works for booming tourism through int'l activities2010-12-22
- Myanmar-China border trade fair-2010 put off2010-12-14
- Myanmar hosts ASEAN ports association meeting in Yangon2010-09-26
- Myanmar eyes more trade cooperation with China's developed regions: top leader2010-09-11
- Myanmar's top leader begins a five-day state visit to China2010-09-09
- Myanmar's top leader to visit China2010-09-03
- Myanmar agricultural experts to undergo training in China2009-09-03