RMB depreciation not long-term: expert
During an interview by the Journal, Yu Yongding, of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, said yuan depreciation would be temporary because of the huge current and capital account surplus of around 125 billion U.S. dollars.
Foreign exchange reserves rose 769 billion yuan (125 billion U.S. dollars) in the first quarter of 2014, while the exchange rate of RMB to U.S. dollar decreased by about 3 percent.
However, Yu believes that RMB depreciation has helped China reduce losses from arbitrage and speculation that ran wild during 2013 after increased yuan internationalization.
The depreciation increased the risks and costs of arbitrage and overseas speculation, eased hot money inflow and preserved financial stability, Yu explained.
Slowing economic growth since last year has helped capital outflow, which also contribute to RMB depreciation, said Yu, who believes the central bank should not abandon intervention, even if the exchange rate market is fully liberalized.
"The most crucial issue is to change away from the former growth method, rather than just avoiding economic decline," Yu said.
- Bankers at Dianchi forum note nuances settling trade in RMB2010-07-29
- RMB internationalization a delicate issue2010-08-20
- Inauguration of Trail Operation of Yunnan Cross-border RMB Settlement Center in 27th July2010-07-29
- RMB to be global reserve currency by 2030: Economist2014-04-10
- RMB goes further on market-oriented course in 20142014-01-17
- RMB clearing services to debut in UK2013-12-03
- RMB joins list of most-traded currencies: BIS2013-09-09
- RMB status moving closer to USD and Euro2013-07-15
- RMB appreciation stimulates outbound travel2013-06-19
- RMB appreciation room limited despite recent strengthening: experts2012-10-25
- RMB 800 million to build agricultural products trade center in Kunming2012-10-16
- RMB deposits in Singapore at around 60 bln yuan: C. Bank2012-06-14
- RMB Settlement Service gains endorsement in Malaysia2012-04-26
- RMB globalization "unstoppable," but with speculative risks: China Ex-Im Bank president2012-03-13
- RMB becomes new international currency: HK financial secretary2012-01-17
- RMB's appreciation to remain gradual2011-09-13
- RMB3 bln to be invested for Zhaotong’s industry development2011-03-07
- Survey: RMB popular for overseas settlement2011-01-25
- RMB 2 bln put to build Pan-Asia auto parts trade city in Yunnan2010-12-07
- RMB 107.39 bln from other provinces used in Yunnan in 1st three quarters of 20102010-11-03
- RMB500 million Dalian fund for SMEs2010-06-25