RMB to be global reserve currency by 2030: Economist
Justin Yifu Lin, former chief economist and senior vice president of the World Bank, made the remarks at a panel discussion on Wednesday at the Boao Forum for Asia in south China's Hainan Province.
The yuan, or renminbi (RMB), is on the way to becoming a global reserve and payment currency. As the world's largest trader, about 25 percent of China's exports are now priced in RMB, and it has become the main settlement currency in some regions, according to Lin.
Apart from the three main reserve currencies, the Japanese yen, the Swiss franc, and the British pound will also be reserve currencies, but in smaller amounts, the economist predicted.
"Confidence in the yuan lies in China's real economy that is stronger than developed countries, and will maintain growth of 7 to 8 percent for the coming 20 years," Lin said.
However, he said yuan and other currencies are not strong enough to overtake the dollar in the short-term. The market share of dollar-denominated trade is 60 percent to 70 percent while less than 5 percent are settled in RMB.
- Bankers at Dianchi forum note nuances settling trade in RMB2010-07-29
- RMB internationalization a delicate issue2010-08-20
- Inauguration of Trail Operation of Yunnan Cross-border RMB Settlement Center in 27th July2010-07-29
- RMB goes further on market-oriented course in 20142014-01-17
- RMB clearing services to debut in UK2013-12-03
- Economist: Chinese labor-intensive enterprises should move to Africa2013-09-10
- RMB joins list of most-traded currencies: BIS2013-09-09
- RMB status moving closer to USD and Euro2013-07-15
- RMB appreciation stimulates outbound travel2013-06-19
- Economists optimistic about China's 2013 outlook2013-01-08
- RMB appreciation room limited despite recent strengthening: experts2012-10-25
- RMB 800 million to build agricultural products trade center in Kunming2012-10-16
- RMB deposits in Singapore at around 60 bln yuan: C. Bank2012-06-14
- RMB Settlement Service gains endorsement in Malaysia2012-04-26
- RMB globalization "unstoppable," but with speculative risks: China Ex-Im Bank president2012-03-13
- RMB becomes new international currency: HK financial secretary2012-01-17
- RMB's appreciation to remain gradual2011-09-13
- Economists say China needs to do more to fight inflation2011-08-22
- RMB3 bln to be invested for Zhaotong’s industry development2011-03-07
- Survey: RMB popular for overseas settlement2011-01-25
- Economist: Two to three times interest rate hike likely2011-01-10
- RMB 2 bln put to build Pan-Asia auto parts trade city in Yunnan2010-12-07
- RMB 107.39 bln from other provinces used in Yunnan in 1st three quarters of 20102010-11-03
- RMB500 million Dalian fund for SMEs2010-06-25