RMB clearing services to debut in UK
The ABC and Standard Chartered signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on Monday, through which financial institutions and corporates can work with Standard Chartered UK and ABC UK to execute RMB transactions.
Clearing of RMB transactions in the UK is currently done through a very robust real time gross settlement system in Hong Kong through clearing banks in Taiwan and Singapore or through agent banks in China.
The RMB clearing services in the UK is expected to strengthen London's position as a leading offshore RMB center.
"London's position as a leading international financial center is enhanced by the ability to offer onshore clearing services that allow 'on-demand' access to settle RMB denominated services within the London time zone," said Peter Sands, Group CEO of Standard Chartered, in a statement.
The signing of this strategic cooperation agreement is another major move to foster "a stronger partnership in which we will jointly build the London offshore RMB center and promote the cross-border use of RMB," said ABC president Zhang Yun.
China allows foreign institutional buyers to trade yuan-denominated financial products through a regime called RQFII, or RMB Qualified Foreign Institutional Investor, with a global quota of 350 billion yuan (57.10 billion U.S. dollars).
China's central bank in June signed an agreement to establish a currency swap line with the Bank of England.
Import and export RMB financing totaled 33.6 billion yuan in 2012, up 100 percent from 2011, and the volume of letters of credit and other loan guarantees grew 13 times to 4.7 billion yuan, according to a report released by the City of London in June.
In July 2010, Standard Chartered became the largest banking investor in ABC's H-share IPO and subscribed to 500 million U.S. dollars worth of H-shares.
- Bankers at Dianchi forum note nuances settling trade in RMB2010-07-29
- RMB internationalization a delicate issue2010-08-20
- Inauguration of Trail Operation of Yunnan Cross-border RMB Settlement Center in 27th July2010-07-29
- RMB joins list of most-traded currencies: BIS2013-09-09
- RMB status moving closer to USD and Euro2013-07-15
- RMB appreciation stimulates outbound travel2013-06-19
- RMB appreciation room limited despite recent strengthening: experts2012-10-25
- RMB 800 million to build agricultural products trade center in Kunming2012-10-16
- RMB deposits in Singapore at around 60 bln yuan: C. Bank2012-06-14
- RMB Settlement Service gains endorsement in Malaysia2012-04-26
- RMB globalization "unstoppable," but with speculative risks: China Ex-Im Bank president2012-03-13
- RMB becomes new international currency: HK financial secretary2012-01-17
- RMB's appreciation to remain gradual2011-09-13
- RMB3 bln to be invested for Zhaotong’s industry development2011-03-07
- Survey: RMB popular for overseas settlement2011-01-25
- RMB 2 bln put to build Pan-Asia auto parts trade city in Yunnan2010-12-07
- RMB 107.39 bln from other provinces used in Yunnan in 1st three quarters of 20102010-11-03
- RMB500 million Dalian fund for SMEs2010-06-25