China-ASEAN trade to bloom on new target
China and ASEAN on Wednesday set a target to scale up two-way trade to one trillion U.S. dollars in 2020, more than double last year's trade volume.
In the coming eight years, China will import a total of 3 trillion U.S. dollars' worth of goods from ASEAN members and invest more than 100 billion U.S. dollars in ASEAN countries.
The data comes from Li's speech at the 16th China-ASEAN leaders' meeting held in the Bruneian capital of Bandar Seri Begawan and a joint statement issued on the same day.
This year marks the 10th anniversary of the establishment of the strategic partnership between China and ASEAN.
"We should plant more flowers, no thorns, and stay as good neighbors, good friends and good partners forever," Li said.
Xu Ningning, deputy secretary-general of the China-ASEAN Business Council, said to achieve the new trade target set by Premier Li, the two sides should further open up their markets.
Though more than 90 percent of the goods from both sides enjoy zero tariffs, there is still space to cut the ratio of "sensitive" goods, namely goods with tariffs, Xu told Xinhua on Thursday.
The two sides should further integrate supplementary industries to boost industrial upgrades, which have been a key focus for China and all ASEAN members, Xu said.
Over the past decade, trade between China and ASEAN has boomed.
From 2002 to 2012, China-ASEAN bilateral trade climbed 23.6 percent annually to its current 400 billion U.S. dollars. Mutual investment added up to over 100 billion dollars by the end 2012, according to official figures.
China now is the largest trade partner for ASEAN, and ASEAN is the third-largest trade partner for China.
Vowing to oppose trade protectionism, the two sides pledged to start talks at an early date over the upgrade of their free trade zone, called the ASEAN-China Free Trade Area, which came into effect on Jan. 1, 2010.
Service industries should be further boosted in the free trade zone, including finance, communication and logistics, Xu said.
The cooperation between China and ASEAN has many strengths, as the two sides share a geographical neighborhood with a long history of trade, and China boasts a huge market, Xu said.
- RMB internationalization a delicate issue2010-08-20
- China-ASEAN solar energy forum kicks off in Yunnan2010-08-05
- China-ASEAN cooperation drives investment westward2013-09-03
- China-ASEAN trade to hit 500 bln USD2013-07-24
- China-ASEAN Bonded Logistics Port to be finished in 5 years2013-02-27
- China-ASEAN Business Travel Seminar held in Shilin2012-12-21
- China-ASEAN agriculture forum held in Kunming2012-10-31
- China-ASEAN legal cooperation center established in Hainan2012-03-28
- China-ASEAN trade increased 36 times in past two decades2011-12-19
- China-ASEAN auto expo kicks off in south China city2011-12-09
- China-ASEAN 2011 bilateral trade to hit record high2011-11-21
- China-ASEAN Free Trade Area benefits both sides: Chinese Commerce Minister2011-11-15
- China-ASEAN Expo boosts economic cooperation, mutual trust2011-10-27
- China-ASEAN Business and Investment Summit starts2011-10-24
- China-ASEAN fund invests 50 mln USD in Laos potash plant2011-10-24
- China-ASEAN trade to keep steady growth in H2: official2011-08-04
- China-ASEAN trade to top 300 bln U.S. dollars this year: official2011-06-07
- China-ASEAN FTA works on win-win for all2011-05-24
- Main work of new Kunming airport to end in July2011-03-31
- Malaysian exports under China-ASEAN FTA rise2011-03-17
- Indonesia, Philippines to boost trade, investment2011-03-09
- Yunnan's trade with ASEAN up 45% in 20102011-02-14
- China-ASEAN Economic & Trade Promotion Association was established2011-02-11
- China-ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting was held in Kunming2011-01-28
- ASEAN foreign ministers: regional peace and prosperity2011-01-26
- China-ASEAN foreign ministers to meet in Yunnan on ties2011-01-17
- China-ASEAN FTA adds new vitality into Sino-Philippine economic and trade cooperation: official2011-01-17
- Bank of China launches yuan services in New York2011-01-13
- Jewelry exhibition held in 7th China-ASEAN Expo2010-10-23
- Rosewood products at 7th China-ASEAN Expo2010-10-22
- 7th China-ASEAN Expo opens to provide new opportunities, witness fruits of CAFTA2010-10-20
- China-ASEAN Business and Investment Summit kicks off2010-10-19
- 7th China-Asean Expo kicks off2010-10-19
- Beijing's Q1-Q3 foreign trade rises by nearly 50%2010-10-16
- China-ASEAN agriculture forum held in Kunming2010-10-12
- China-ASEAN Industry Co-op Conference oncoming in Kunming2010-09-17
- China-ASEAN Industry Cooperation Conference to kick off in Kunming2010-09-14
- China vows to enhance facilitation under ASEAN Plus Three mechanism2010-08-27
- Guangxi external trade up 36.7% in first seven months2010-08-14
- Foreign Trade Policy to Give Priority to Stability in the Latter Half of the Year and Export Rebates for High Consumption Products to Possibly Be Fine-Tuned2010-08-13
- China-ASEAN Free Trade Area Starts Operation2010-01-06