China-ASEAN cooperation drives investment westward
Wu moved his candy business from coastal Fujian to Guangxi in 2012 to ride the wave of deepening cooperation between China and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
"We invested in Guangxi because the region is a gateway to the ASEAN, which provides great geographic advantages and potential markets," said Wu, general manager of the Golden Crown Candy Food Guangxi Co., Ltd.
"We expect to open up the ASEAN market with the help of close China-ASEAN relations and the favored location of the Beibu Gulf," said Wu.
China and ASEAN have had an established strategic partnership since 2003, and it has proved successful over the past decade, with the two-way trade volume in 2012 exceeding 400 billion U.S. dollars, about five times that of 2003.
Customs data show that foreign trade between Guangxi and the ASEAN surged 38.6 percent year on year to 7.51 billion U.S. dollars in the first half of 2013, and the ASEAN has been Guangxi's biggest trade partner for 13 years in a row.
This backdrop has lured many businesses like Wu's to extend their branches in Guangxi.
Wu Xingqiang, head of the Fujian Chamber of Commerce in Guangxi's Pingxiang City, near the China-Vietnam border, is among the first group of business people there to have made their fortunes and witnessed the development of this port city.
"When I first came here in 1996, there were only a dozen businessmen from Fujian and the market was small," Wu said. "But now more than 1,000 Fujian merchants have gathered in this tiny city and the number is growing."
Hong Kong-based Jing Guang Electronics Co., Ltd. has been producing capacitor products for years in the cities of Shenzhen and Zhuhai in Guangdong Province, the nation's economic powerhouse.
Pressured by skyrocketing labor and land costs, the company moved westward to build two factories in Guangxi's Beihai City in 2008. Now the business is expanding.
A manager of the company said that it chose to move to Guangxi both to reduce costs and to explore new opportunities and markets as China-ASEAN cooperation continues to deepen.
Xu Ningning, deputy secretary-general of the China-ASEAN Business Council, said that as more have realized Guangxi's role in China-ASEAN cooperation, many companies are pinning their hopes on Guangxi and the future of China-ASEAN cooperation.
- Yunnan delegation officially visits Bangladesh2010-08-31
- Monetary cooperation vital to Asia's economy2010-08-20
- China-ASEAN solar energy forum kicks off in Yunnan2010-08-05
- China-ASEAN trade to hit 500 bln USD2013-07-24
- China-ASEAN Bonded Logistics Port to be finished in 5 years2013-02-27
- China-ASEAN Business Travel Seminar held in Shilin2012-12-21
- China-ASEAN agriculture forum held in Kunming2012-10-31
- China-ASEAN legal cooperation center established in Hainan2012-03-28
- China-ASEAN trade increased 36 times in past two decades2011-12-19
- China-ASEAN auto expo kicks off in south China city2011-12-09
- China-ASEAN 2011 bilateral trade to hit record high2011-11-21
- China-ASEAN Free Trade Area benefits both sides: Chinese Commerce Minister2011-11-15
- China-ASEAN Expo boosts economic cooperation, mutual trust2011-10-27
- China-ASEAN Business and Investment Summit starts2011-10-24
- China-ASEAN fund invests 50 mln USD in Laos potash plant2011-10-24
- China-ASEAN trade to keep steady growth in H2: official2011-08-04
- China-ASEAN trade to top 300 bln U.S. dollars this year: official2011-06-07
- China-ASEAN FTA works on win-win for all2011-05-24
- Malaysian exports under China-ASEAN FTA rise2011-03-17
- Myanmar airline launches route to Cambodia's Angkor Wat2011-02-25
- China-ASEAN Economic & Trade Promotion Association was established2011-02-11
- China-ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting was held in Kunming2011-01-28
- The meeting minutes of the First China-Laos conference on the Economic Corridor Non-governmental Mechanism of China, Laos and Thailand were signed2011-01-28
- ASEAN foreign ministers: regional peace and prosperity2011-01-26
- China-ASEAN foreign ministers to meet in Yunnan on ties2011-01-17
- China-ASEAN FTA adds new vitality into Sino-Philippine economic and trade cooperation: official2011-01-17
- Cambodia, Thailand sign visa exception agreement to boost business, tourism2010-11-18
- Jewelry exhibition held in 7th China-ASEAN Expo2010-10-23
- Rosewood products at 7th China-ASEAN Expo2010-10-22
- 7th China-ASEAN Expo opens to provide new opportunities, witness fruits of CAFTA2010-10-20
- China-ASEAN Business and Investment Summit kicks off2010-10-19
- 7th China-Asean Expo kicks off2010-10-19
- China-ASEAN agriculture forum held in Kunming2010-10-12
- China-ASEAN Industry Co-op Conference oncoming in Kunming2010-09-17
- China-ASEAN Industry Cooperation Conference to kick off in Kunming2010-09-14
- Finance and Investment Research Center set up in Kunming2010-08-28
- Raw Jade Auction Market in Yingjiang County project2010-08-26
- Wide-range of regional cooperation2010-08-13
- China-ASEAN Free Trade Area Starts Operation2010-01-06