Myanmar to introduce int'l bank cards services successively
MPU will be first introduced in September which allows customers to withdraw money at the automatic teller machines (ATM) of local participating banks and buy goods at some designated stores.
Negotiations are underway to bring in China UnionPay and Japan Credit Bureau and then Visa card which are to realize by early 2013, most probably to catch up with the time when the Southeast Asian Games is to be held in Myanmar in late 2013.
Allowing Visa card to operate in the country would be another step forward for Myanmar's banking sector and would have positive improvement in the tourism industry of the nation that could attract more foreign investors and tourists, bankers said.
At present, 17 private banks have participated in the MPU program and all private banks would join in soon, U Pe Myint, managing director of the Cooperative Bank Ltd., told Xinhua.
He added that users are required to open account with eight of the MPU member banks so far.
ATM began service in Myanmar in November 2011 with six private banks, namely Cooperative Bank, Kanbawza bank, Asia Green Development bank, Myawaddy bank, Myanmar Citizens bank and Ayeyarwady bank.
There is a total of 19 private banks and four state-owned banks in Myanmar.
The state-owned banks are Myanma Economic Bank, Myanma Foreign Trade Bank, Myanma Investment and Commercial Bank and Myanmar Agricultural Development Bank.
- Myanmar to launch Yangon ICT fair next month2012-08-02
- Myanmar extends commercial tax exemption to July2012-02-03
- Myanmar braces for more tourists in open season2011-09-02
- Myanmar becomes Yunnan's largest trading partner2011-05-20
- Myanmar-China border trade fair launched in Muse2011-05-03
- Myanmar's liberalization of banking sector attracts more foreign bankers engagement2011-03-23
- Myanmar to open media corners to develop media industry2011-03-15
- Myanmar, Malaysian entrepreneurs to promote business cooperation2011-03-07
- Myanmar airline launches Yangon-Guangzhou direct flight service2011-03-05
- Myanmar airline launches route to Cambodia's Angkor Wat2011-02-25
- Myanmar will launch direct flights to Cambodia2011-02-11
- Myanmar to privatize 90 pct of state-owned industries this year2011-01-13
- Myanmar works for booming tourism through int'l activities2010-12-22
- Myanmar-China border trade fair-2010 put off2010-12-14
- Myanmar hosts ASEAN ports association meeting in Yangon2010-09-26
- Myanmar eyes more trade cooperation with China's developed regions: top leader2010-09-11
- Myanmar's top leader begins a five-day state visit to China2010-09-09
- Myanmar's top leader to visit China2010-09-03
- Myanmar agricultural experts to undergo training in China2009-09-03