RMB deposits in Singapore at around 60 bln yuan: C. Bank
Speaking at a forum on the Chinese currency here, Ong Chong Tee, deputy managing director of the Monetary Authority of Singapore, said that he expected the renminbi deposits to go for offshore investment products.
Singapore can provide renminbi financing needs, he said, citing the renminbi debt issuances by Global Logistics Properties and Singamas.
"I firmly believe that Singapore will clearly play a role as the renminbi internationalizes," he said.
Singapore's central bank is one of the 17 central banks that have bilateral swap agreements with the People's Bank of China. It received 30 billion U.S. dollars of currency swap line last year.
Banks in Singapore have also launched RMB products over the past two years, and some banks offer access to offshore renminbi products in Hong Kong of China. The debate over whether Singapore would become the next offshore yuan center has been making headlines in local newspapers, though it has not been confirmed.
Ong said there are more than 4,000 Chinese companies operating in Singapore and 140 of them are listed on the Singapore Exchange.
Cao Yuanzheng, chief economist of the Bank of China International Holdings Limited, said at the forum that the international use of the renminbi is a result of the need for it to be used that way.
China has never been seeking for the renminbi to be an international reserve currency, and its going international is just closely related with China's economic reforms and the need for it to help China's economic development, Cao said.
An international renminbi is just a sign of the diversification of the international monetary system and will help reduce the world's reliance on the U.S. dollar, Cao said.
- Bankers at Dianchi forum note nuances settling trade in RMB2010-07-29
- RMB internationalization a delicate issue2010-08-20
- Inauguration of Trail Operation of Yunnan Cross-border RMB Settlement Center in 27th July2010-07-29
- Banks encouraged to seek private investment2012-05-28
- RMB Settlement Service gains endorsement in Malaysia2012-04-26
- RMB globalization "unstoppable," but with speculative risks: China Ex-Im Bank president2012-03-13
- Singapore firms' direct overseas investment up 9.7 pct in 20112012-02-23
- RMB becomes new international currency: HK financial secretary2012-01-17
- Banks still pushing to maximize lending2011-12-13
- Singapore consortium to build 3.3 bln USD landmark in western Chinese city2011-12-01
- Banks get nods to issue special bonds to finance MSE2011-11-15
- Singapore fully supports Cambodia for 2012's ASEAN chair2011-10-10
- Bank of China sets up first overseas forfaiting, commodities finance units2011-09-23
- RMB's appreciation to remain gradual2011-09-13
- Bank forex surplus hits $43.2b in July2011-09-02
- Singapore Airlines retains top spot in global airline ranking2011-09-01
- Bank of China, UnionPay issue dual-currency debit cards in Thailand2011-07-19
- Bank of China taps Cambodian market2011-05-09
- Singapore paper producer to boost investment in east China province by 4.6 bln USD2011-04-18
- Singapore calls for greater cooperation to develop ASEAN bond market2011-04-01
- Singapore export growth slower in Feb.2011-03-19
- Banks race to speed up RMB operations in Singapore2011-03-18
- RMB3 bln to be invested for Zhaotong’s industry development2011-03-07
- Singapore developer eyes affordable housing market in China2011-02-24
- Survey: RMB popular for overseas settlement2011-01-25
- Bank of China launches yuan services in New York2011-01-13
- Singapore port cargo throughput rebounds 6.4 percent in 20102011-01-07
- Singapore-based Armarda in talks to buy China’s firm2010-12-31
- Bank of China signs cooperation agreements with two Taiwan banks2010-12-25
- RMB 2 bln put to build Pan-Asia auto parts trade city in Yunnan2010-12-07
- Singapore clean energy market gets investment from China2010-11-17
- Bank of china, Malaysia CIMB getting close for licenses2010-11-04
- RMB 107.39 bln from other provinces used in Yunnan in 1st three quarters of 20102010-11-03
- Banks discuss RMB internationalization2010-09-06
- Traditional Chinese medicine products growing popular in Singapore2010-08-27
- Singapore's non-oil domestic exports increase 18% on-year in July2010-08-17
- Banks give out less new loans in July2010-08-12
- Singapore's manufacturing economy grows in July2010-08-05
- Bank of China to raise 60B yuan through rights issue2010-07-02
- RMB500 million Dalian fund for SMEs2010-06-25