RMB becomes new international currency: HK financial secretary
"We are now witnessing the birth of the Renminbi as a new international currency. In 2011, Renminbi deposits in Hong Kong almost doubled to around 630 billion RMB (about 100 billion U.S. dollars)," Tsang said at the cocktail reception of the fifth Asian Financial Forum opened Monday.
"Total Renminbi trade settlement handled by Hong Kong banks since its inception in 2009 now exceeds 2 trillion RMB. And the value of Renminbi bond issuance in Hong Kong last year was three times that of 2010," he continued.
Tsang also noted that Hong Kong still led the world in IPO funds raised for the third year in a row, with the total IPO funds raised reaching 36 billion U.S. dollars. The nature and origin of new listed companies reflected Hong Kong's concerted efforts to diversify and internationalize the Hong Kong stock market.
The two-day Asian Financial Forum, which brought together some 2,000 influential financial players and business leaders from around the world, opened Monday to explore the growing opportunities in Asia.
The forum, co-organized by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government and the Hong Kong Trade Development Council, focuses on the global economic outlook and Asia's contribution to sustainable growth. Participants discuss the issues concerning the European debt crisis and the shift of economic gravity from the West to the East. (1 U.S. dollars equals 6.3 RMB) Enditem
- Bankers at Dianchi forum note nuances settling trade in RMB2010-07-29
- RMB internationalization a delicate issue2010-08-20
- Inauguration of Trail Operation of Yunnan Cross-border RMB Settlement Center in 27th July2010-07-29
- HK to boost yuan's internationalization2011-09-15
- RMB's appreciation to remain gradual2011-09-13
- Main work of new Kunming airport to end in July2011-03-31
- RMB3 bln to be invested for Zhaotong’s industry development2011-03-07
- Survey: RMB popular for overseas settlement2011-01-25
- ISE Foundation to establish international college in Yunnan2011-01-18
- RMB 2 bln put to build Pan-Asia auto parts trade city in Yunnan2010-12-07
- HK to launch SME financing guarantee scheme2010-11-15
- RMB 107.39 bln from other provinces used in Yunnan in 1st three quarters of 20102010-11-03
- Kunming launches construction of international land port2010-09-30
- Financial accumulation zone to be built in Kunming2010-09-07
- HK Monetary Authority welcomes approval for overseas yuan fund to invest in mainland market2010-08-17
- The 7th China (Beijing) International Steel Tube Industry Exposition, 2010 oncoming2010-08-16
- Laying International Trade Market Project2010-08-11
- RMB500 million Dalian fund for SMEs2010-06-25
- HK's exports to mainland for outward processing soar 35 pct in Q12010-06-18