China-ASEAN trade increased 36 times in past two decades
Source: xinhua Time: 2011-Dec-17 16:01 EmailPrintBEIJING, Dec. 16 (Xinhua) -- Trade volume between China and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in 2010 was 36 times what it was in 1991, the year in which formal relations between the two sides were established, according to new statistics.
The volume is expected to reach 500 billion U.S. dollars in 2015, according to figures revealed Friday at the China-ASEAN Beijing Economic Forum, an event taking place in China's capital from Dec. 16 to 18 to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the China-ASEAN relations.
Ma Mingqiang, secretary-general of ASEAN-China Center, said China-ASEAN trade volume totaled 267 billion U.S. dollars in the first three quarters of 2011 and is expected to hit the annual target of 350 billion dollars this year.
He said the two parties have become closely linked in the past two decades, as China is now ASEAN's largest trade partner while ASEAN ranks the third among China's trade partners.
With the comprehensive implementation of the China-ASEAN Free Trade Agreement in 2010, China has made 90 percent of commodities traded between China and ASEAN countries free of tariffs.
China and ASEAN have enjoyed rapid social and economic growth since they established bilateral cooperation, said Surin Pitsuwan, ASEAN secretary-general.
ASEAN can provide human resources, natural resources and raw materials for China's industrial development, and it in turn wants to win more investment from China, said Pitsuwan.
He said the cooperation not only is a win-win solution for both sides, but will also make a positive contribution to the world.
Guo Jinlong, mayor of Beijing, said the city saw a 21.5 percent year-on-year increase in trade volume with ASEAN in 2010, and will further strengthen its cooperation with the countries.
ASEAN groups Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Enditem
- RMB internationalization a delicate issue2010-08-20
- China-ASEAN solar energy forum kicks off in Yunnan2010-08-05
- China-ASEAN auto expo kicks off in south China city2011-12-09
- China-ASEAN 2011 bilateral trade to hit record high2011-11-21
- China-ASEAN Free Trade Area benefits both sides: Chinese Commerce Minister2011-11-15
- China-ASEAN Expo boosts economic cooperation, mutual trust2011-10-27
- China-ASEAN Business and Investment Summit starts2011-10-24
- China-ASEAN fund invests 50 mln USD in Laos potash plant2011-10-24
- China-ASEAN trade to keep steady growth in H2: official2011-08-04
- China-ASEAN trade to top 300 bln U.S. dollars this year: official2011-06-07
- China-ASEAN FTA works on win-win for all2011-05-24
- Malaysian exports under China-ASEAN FTA rise2011-03-17
- Indonesia, Philippines to boost trade, investment2011-03-09
- Yunnan's trade with ASEAN up 45% in 20102011-02-14
- China-ASEAN Economic & Trade Promotion Association was established2011-02-11
- China-ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting was held in Kunming2011-01-28
- ASEAN foreign ministers: regional peace and prosperity2011-01-26
- China-ASEAN foreign ministers to meet in Yunnan on ties2011-01-17
- China-ASEAN FTA adds new vitality into Sino-Philippine economic and trade cooperation: official2011-01-17
- Bank of China launches yuan services in New York2011-01-13
- Jewelry exhibition held in 7th China-ASEAN Expo2010-10-23
- Rosewood products at 7th China-ASEAN Expo2010-10-22
- 7th China-ASEAN Expo opens to provide new opportunities, witness fruits of CAFTA2010-10-20
- China-ASEAN Business and Investment Summit kicks off2010-10-19
- 7th China-Asean Expo kicks off2010-10-19
- Beijing's Q1-Q3 foreign trade rises by nearly 50%2010-10-16
- China-ASEAN agriculture forum held in Kunming2010-10-12
- China-ASEAN Industry Co-op Conference oncoming in Kunming2010-09-17
- China-ASEAN Industry Cooperation Conference to kick off in Kunming2010-09-14
- China vows to enhance facilitation under ASEAN Plus Three mechanism2010-08-27
- Guangxi external trade up 36.7% in first seven months2010-08-14
- Foreign Trade Policy to Give Priority to Stability in the Latter Half of the Year and Export Rebates for High Consumption Products to Possibly Be Fine-Tuned2010-08-13
- China-ASEAN Free Trade Area Starts Operation2010-01-06