Chinese company's 6 bln USD investment in Brunei win-win for both sides
The remarks are meant to dispel the skepticism that often triggers controversy and sometimes blocks overseas investment plans by Chinese companies, researchers said.
Last week, Icelandic authorities rejected a land purchase plan by a privately-owned company in Beijing that would have built a high-end resort with an investment of 200 million U.S. dollars.
Zhejiang Hengyi Group Co., China's largest chemical-fiber supplier for the textile industry, said in a statement it will build a petrochemical plant with a total investment of 6 billion U.S. dollars in the oil- and gas-rich ASEAN member state.
The project, the largest overseas investment by a privately-owned Chinese firm, is designed to process 15 million tonnes of crude oil a year and churn out products such as p-xylene and aromatic hydrocarbon.
Brunei Shell Petroleum Co. signed an agreement with Zhejiang Hengyi to provide crude oil supplies for the project, which has been approved by the Brunei government.
Qiu Jianlin, chairman of Zhejiang Hengyi, said the plant aims to help reduce the company's reliance on imports of petrochemical products. Currently, 60 percent of its consumption of p-xylene comes from imports.
The plant alone can meet 30 percent of Zhejiang Hengyi's demand for petrochemical products, Qiu said. "The safety of production material supplies can affect our international competitiveness," he said.
"Our cooperation with the Brunei government will not only benefit our company but will also be a win-win for both sides," Qiu added.
Qiu said the company was seeking to create opportunities for locals. Nearly 3 million tonnes of diesel, gasoline and jet fuel will be supplied to the local market in Brunei annually, he said.
Brunei authorities have welcomed the project, as the plant is projected to create over 2,000 jobs, mostly for locals, and local organizations and companies can also take a stake of up to 30 percent in it, the Brunei Economic Development Board said in a statement.
The plant will also help to change the extensive growth mode by reducing the economy's long-term reliance on exports of oil and natural gas, it said.
Crude oil and natural gas contribute to 66 percent of Brunei's gross domestic product and 93.6 percent of its exports value, according to the statement.
Overseas investment by Chinese companies is often at the center of controversy, as Chinese motives are questioned.
"Market-oriented moves should be viewed from the vantage point of the market," said Xu Jianfeng, a researcher at the Zhejiang provincial academy of social sciences. "Rational, fair and equal economic cooperation and global trade are not resources grabs."
"More importantly, China's purchase and consumption of resources are two concepts. As 'factory of the world,' China buys resources and exports. This is the international division of labor and reasonable disposition of global resources," Qiu said.
- Kunming awarded for best international image2010-10-22
- Chinese president holds talks with Myanmar's top leader on deepening ties2010-09-08
- 6th Northeast Asia Investment and Trade Expo opens in China’s Jilin2010-09-02
- 6th Kunming Pan-Asian International Agriculture Expo oncoming2010-08-19
- Chinese, Singaporean presidents vow to bolster ties2010-08-18
- Chinese cabinet approves regulation to standardize construction bidding2011-12-01
- Chinese company's 6 bln USD investment in Brunei win-win for both sides2011-12-01
- Chinese enterprises urged to make full use of gov't-sponsored labs for innovation2011-11-28
- Chinese province holds consumer product expo in Singapore2011-11-25
- Chinese shares open slightly higher Monday2011-11-21
- Chinese banks react differently to regulator's call on investment products2011-11-18
- Chinese gov't beefs up rural spending to reduce poverty: white paper2011-11-17
- Chinese gov't beefs up rural spending to reduce poverty: white paper2011-11-16
- Chinese online sales, especially of electronics, stall2011-11-11
- Chinese tourists to reshape global travel industry: report2011-11-08
- Chinese mainland to allow four Taiwan banks to open branches: CBRC2011-10-28
- Chinese company acquires Europe's third largest electric motor manufacturer2011-10-21
- Chinese brewery to open first overseas plant in Bangkok2011-10-18
- Chinese mainland's trade with Macao rises 11.8 pct in first 8 months2011-10-14
- Chinese desalination processors start operating in Indonesia2011-10-13
- Chinese firm builds light rail in Vietnamese capital Hanoi2011-10-11
- Chinese exports price rises as quantity growth slows2011-10-08
- Chinese, Laotian presidents pledge to enhance political, economic ties2011-09-21
- Chinese company invests in animal feed in Vietnam2011-09-20
- Chinese mainland urges accelerating cross-Strait investment protection negotiations2011-09-15
- Chinese, American economists wrap up dialogue aware of challenges and opportunities2011-09-14
- Chinese tire exports decline after WTO ruling2011-09-13
- Chinese expert calls for immediate acceleration of economic transformation2011-09-08
- Chinese company builds highway in northern Vietnam2011-09-06
- Chinese consumer confidence dips slightly in Q2: Nielsen2011-08-25
- Chinese consumer confidence slips2011-08-24
- Chinese economy to grow 9.28% in 20112011-08-23
- Chinese central SOEs net profits up 15.7 pct in first seven months2011-08-22
- Chinese steelmaker aims to become less dependent on foreign ore2011-08-12
- Chinese economy's growth pace fluctuating within normal range2011-08-09
- Chinese software company Kingdee to help train SMEs in Singapore2011-07-29
- Chinese bank forex surplus hits 273.7 bln USD in H12011-07-26
- Chinese automakers seek global growth2011-07-26
- Chinese FM calls for further ASEAN Plus Three cooperation for regional prosperity2011-07-25
- Chinese central SOEs net profits up 14.6 pct in H12011-07-25
- Chinese auto makers need new export model: BAIC chairman2011-07-21
- Chinese ecotourism has yet to fully blossom2011-07-20
- Chinese microcredit companies lend 89.4 bln yuan in H12011-07-20
- Chinese telecom giant ambitious to lead 4G mobile technology2011-07-12
- Chinese consumer confidence drops in June2011-07-12
- Chinese tourism to Japan rebounds2011-06-28
- Chinese tourists are biggest spenders in Australia2011-06-10
- Interview: Chinese economy to have soft landing: Swedish bank senior economist2011-05-11
- Chinese property developers struggle as gov't cools market2011-05-09
- Chinese firms to face global challenges2011-05-06
- Chinese firms face trade, investment barriers2011-04-26
- Chinese official calls for restructuring of SMEs due to rising production costs2011-04-25
- Chinese vice premier urges balanced trade2011-04-18
- Chinese stocks close higher on tourism, financial sectors2011-04-14
- Chinese firm opens technology training center in Indonesian college2011-04-12
- Chinese gov't boosts the bond markets2011-04-11
- Chinese M&A to focus on domestic consolidation2011-03-30
- China’s ZTE successfully bid for Malaysia wireless network2011-03-19
- Entrepreneurs of Chinese province, Myanmar hold business meeting in Yangon2011-03-15
- 6th International Conference on Phosphate Beneficiation held in Kunming2011-03-08
- Chinese mobile phones will be able to use in Myanmar2011-02-11
- Non-governmental business delegation of the Economic Corridor of China, Laos and Thailand organized investigation trip to Cambodia (schedule 2)2011-01-28
- Korean Air adds more Seoul-Kunming flights2011-01-15
- Singapore-based Armarda in talks to buy China’s firm2010-12-31
- Chinese banks' November forex surplus hits 45.3 bln USD2010-12-24
- Chinese premier, Pakistani president vow to boost ties2010-12-20
- Chinese, Pakistani PMs hold talks to cement strategic cooperative partnership2010-12-18
- China’s renewable energy firms encouraged to invest in U.S. market2010-12-07
- China stocks close higher Wednesday, led by consumer goods producers2010-11-24
- Chinese president puts forward growth proposal at APEC summit2010-11-13
- China, APEC hand in hand towards common development2010-11-11
- Chinese premier meets with Vietnamese Communist Party chief2010-10-30
- Chinese premier calls for deepening East Asian co-op2010-10-30
- Chinese, Indian PMs meet on bilateral relations2010-10-29
- Chinese premier meets with Singaporean counterpart in Hanoi2010-10-29
- 6th Walking into ASEAN Forum kicked off in Kunming2010-10-27
- 6th ASEAN People's Forum opens in Vietnam2010-09-26
- Chinese mainland bank sets up 1st representative office in Taiwan2010-09-25
- International fair to tap new energy2010-09-21
- China’s company plans to invest in Cambodia's rice mill2010-09-14
- 6th Kunming Pan-Asian International Agriculture Expo. kicks off2010-09-09
- 6th Strait Travel Fair kicks off in Xiamen2010-09-07
- Chinese gov to improve food safety systems2010-09-03
- Chinese Consumer Price Index (CPI) by Region (July 2010)2010-09-03
- Chinese leaders congratulate Vietnam on 65th National Day2010-09-02
- Chinese, Singaporean trade unions vow closer ties2010-09-01
- Finance and Investment Research Center set up in Kunming2010-08-28
- Raw Jade Auction Market in Yingjiang County project2010-08-26
- Chinese tea being under weather threat -- and milk and sugar2010-08-24
- Chinese products moving up the value chain2010-08-23
- Chinese CPI may peak in Aug: economist2010-08-22
- Chinese fifth jade species:Huanglong jade2010-08-17
- Chinese premier urges development of northeastern China2010-08-17
- Chinese fares gain 2.11% Monday, led by coal producers2010-08-16
- Chinese shares close lower midday Thursday2010-08-05
- In record, 54 Chinese firms hit Global 5002010-07-10
- Chinese banks lent 560b yuan in June2010-07-07
- Chinese Tianjin industrial zone wooes Russian investors2010-06-23
- Chinese vice president concludes Bangladesh tour, starts Laos trip2010-06-19
- Chinese vice premier inspects SW China's Yunnan Province2010-06-04
- Chinese production bases rates highest in Asia2010-06-04
- Chinese electric power companies increases investment in ASEAN2007-10-10