Chinese consumer confidence slips
Despite the decline, however, China continues to enjoy solid consumer confidence compared with other countries.
Consumer confidence levels above and below a baseline of 100 indicate varying degrees of optimism and pessimism.
Global consumer confidence declined to its lowest level in six quarters as the economic recovery hit a stumbling block and amid fears for recession jitters around the world.
According to Nielsen's latest report, global online consumer confidence fell 3 index points from 92 to 89, the lowest reading since the fourth quarter of 2009. Confidence in the United States fell 5 index points to 78, 2 points lower than the 80 points recorded in the first half of 2009 at the height of the global recession.
"As the ongoing sovereign debt crises in the US and the European Union (EU) increase global economic uncertainties, we expect global consumer confidence to slide further in the third quarter," said Karthik Rao, managing director of Nielsen Greater China.
"Although China's consumer confidence is also likely to be affected by the global economic turbulence in the coming quarter, there will not be big swings because the country's economic fundamentals remain strong and people's incomes are seeing a gradual improvement," he added.
Ma Jun, chief China economist of Deutsche Bank AG, said in a research note on Tuesday that the bank has cut its baseline projection for Chinese GDP growth to 8.9 percent for 2011 (from 9.1 percent), and to 8.3 percent for 2012 (from 8.6 percent), largely reflecting the downturn in export growth because of the debt crises in the EU and US.
Rao said that the 3-point drop in the first quarter was driven mainly by declining consumer expectations regarding incomes during the latest quarter.
"This decline comes after the first quarter when the Chinese were overly optimistic," said Rao.
Looking across China, confidence in first-tier cities was stable, with Guangzhou expressing the highest level of consumer confidence (106). The level in Beijing was 100 (a rise of one point) while in Shanghai, it remained unchanged at 99 points. Consumers in rural areas continued to enjoy the highest confidence level (109) despite a 4-point drop in the latest quarter.
"People in rural regions are more affected by inflation as food accounts for a bigger proportion of their daily consumption," said Rao.
China's consumer price index, the key gauge of inflation, reached a 37-month high of 6.5 percent in July.
- Kunming awarded for best international image2010-10-22
- Chinese president holds talks with Myanmar's top leader on deepening ties2010-09-08
- Chinese, Singaporean presidents vow to bolster ties2010-08-18
- Chinese economy to grow 9.28% in 20112011-08-23
- Chinese central SOEs net profits up 15.7 pct in first seven months2011-08-22
- Chinese steelmaker aims to become less dependent on foreign ore2011-08-12
- Chinese economy's growth pace fluctuating within normal range2011-08-09
- Chinese software company Kingdee to help train SMEs in Singapore2011-07-29
- Chinese bank forex surplus hits 273.7 bln USD in H12011-07-26
- Chinese automakers seek global growth2011-07-26
- Chinese FM calls for further ASEAN Plus Three cooperation for regional prosperity2011-07-25
- Chinese central SOEs net profits up 14.6 pct in H12011-07-25
- Chinese auto makers need new export model: BAIC chairman2011-07-21
- Chinese ecotourism has yet to fully blossom2011-07-20
- Chinese microcredit companies lend 89.4 bln yuan in H12011-07-20
- Chinese telecom giant ambitious to lead 4G mobile technology2011-07-12
- Chinese consumer confidence drops in June2011-07-12
- Chinese tourism to Japan rebounds2011-06-28
- Chinese tourists are biggest spenders in Australia2011-06-10
- Interview: Chinese economy to have soft landing: Swedish bank senior economist2011-05-11
- Chinese property developers struggle as gov't cools market2011-05-09
- Chinese firms to face global challenges2011-05-06
- Chinese firms face trade, investment barriers2011-04-26
- Chinese official calls for restructuring of SMEs due to rising production costs2011-04-25
- Chinese vice premier urges balanced trade2011-04-18
- Chinese stocks close higher on tourism, financial sectors2011-04-14
- Chinese firm opens technology training center in Indonesian college2011-04-12
- Chinese gov't boosts the bond markets2011-04-11
- Chinese M&A to focus on domestic consolidation2011-03-30
- China’s ZTE successfully bid for Malaysia wireless network2011-03-19
- Entrepreneurs of Chinese province, Myanmar hold business meeting in Yangon2011-03-15
- Chinese mobile phones will be able to use in Myanmar2011-02-11
- Non-governmental business delegation of the Economic Corridor of China, Laos and Thailand organized investigation trip to Cambodia (schedule 2)2011-01-28
- Korean Air adds more Seoul-Kunming flights2011-01-15
- Chinese banks' November forex surplus hits 45.3 bln USD2010-12-24
- Chinese premier, Pakistani president vow to boost ties2010-12-20
- Chinese, Pakistani PMs hold talks to cement strategic cooperative partnership2010-12-18
- China’s renewable energy firms encouraged to invest in U.S. market2010-12-07
- China stocks close higher Wednesday, led by consumer goods producers2010-11-24
- Chinese president puts forward growth proposal at APEC summit2010-11-13
- China, APEC hand in hand towards common development2010-11-11
- Chinese premier meets with Vietnamese Communist Party chief2010-10-30
- Chinese premier calls for deepening East Asian co-op2010-10-30
- Chinese, Indian PMs meet on bilateral relations2010-10-29
- Chinese premier meets with Singaporean counterpart in Hanoi2010-10-29
- Chinese mainland bank sets up 1st representative office in Taiwan2010-09-25
- International fair to tap new energy2010-09-21
- Chinese gov to improve food safety systems2010-09-03
- Chinese Consumer Price Index (CPI) by Region (July 2010)2010-09-03
- Chinese leaders congratulate Vietnam on 65th National Day2010-09-02
- Chinese, Singaporean trade unions vow closer ties2010-09-01
- Chinese tea being under weather threat -- and milk and sugar2010-08-24
- Chinese products moving up the value chain2010-08-23
- Chinese CPI may peak in Aug: economist2010-08-22
- Chinese fifth jade species:Huanglong jade2010-08-17
- Chinese premier urges development of northeastern China2010-08-17
- Chinese fares gain 2.11% Monday, led by coal producers2010-08-16
- Chinese shares close lower midday Thursday2010-08-05
- In record, 54 Chinese firms hit Global 5002010-07-10
- Chinese banks lent 560b yuan in June2010-07-07
- Chinese Tianjin industrial zone wooes Russian investors2010-06-23
- Chinese vice president concludes Bangladesh tour, starts Laos trip2010-06-19
- Chinese vice premier inspects SW China's Yunnan Province2010-06-04
- Chinese production bases rates highest in Asia2010-06-04
- Chinese electric power companies increases investment in ASEAN2007-10-10