Chinese economy to grow 9.28% in 2011
The China's Macroeconomic Outlook 2011-2012 and Policy Simulations report also projected that the consumer price index (CPI) inflation will hit 5.34 percent for the full year.
It forecast a GDP (gross domestic product) growth of 8.91 percent and a CPI growth of 4.93 percent for 2012.
"We think that China's GDP growth will inevitably slow down at the stage it is at, due to weak recovery in the external markets and the macroeconomic policies gradually coming back to normal in China," the report said.
"The Chinese economy is most likely to grow at a range between 9 percent and 8 percent for some time to come," said Li Wenpu, an economist from Xiamen University and one of the leaders of the research.
Chen Kang, professor of economics from the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore, said that the forecasts were based on "prudently optimistic" assumptions that the United States economy will grow by 1.7 percent this year and further bounces back to achieve a normal speed of growth and that the eurozone will stay out of a sovereign debt crisis this year and slows down a bit next year, dragged by the deepening crisis.
The interest rates in China is assumed to stay stable this year and the money supply M2 grows by 16 percent this year and 17 percent in 2012, respectively.
Impact from possible US double-dip recession
If the United States slips into a double dip recession in the first and second quarters of 2012, with the economic growth lower at 1.1 percent, however, the Chinese economy will grow by 8.24 percent in 2012, 0.67 percentage point lower than the base forecast.
The forecast was based on a slowdown in eurozone and China cut its interest rates by 0.25 percentage point early next year.
The CPI inflation will also be lower at 3.95 percent, the report said.
"Given the complex factors leading to the inflation, it will take quite some time for it to be stabilized. The inflation will stay high at 4 percent to 5.4 percent this year and next year," it said.
The researchers said China should keep its hand tight on inflation and avoid excess investments aimed at too fast growth of the economy by stimulating it.
Xiamen University and the National University of Singapore have been releasing their forecasts for the Chinese economy twice a year since 2006. They also partnered with the Economic Information Daily of China to release the forecasts in China.
- Kunming awarded for best international image2010-10-22
- Chinese president holds talks with Myanmar's top leader on deepening ties2010-09-08
- Chinese, Singaporean presidents vow to bolster ties2010-08-18
- Chinese central SOEs net profits up 15.7 pct in first seven months2011-08-22
- Chinese steelmaker aims to become less dependent on foreign ore2011-08-12
- Chinese economy's growth pace fluctuating within normal range2011-08-09
- Chinese software company Kingdee to help train SMEs in Singapore2011-07-29
- Chinese bank forex surplus hits 273.7 bln USD in H12011-07-26
- Chinese automakers seek global growth2011-07-26
- Chinese FM calls for further ASEAN Plus Three cooperation for regional prosperity2011-07-25
- Chinese central SOEs net profits up 14.6 pct in H12011-07-25
- Chinese auto makers need new export model: BAIC chairman2011-07-21
- Chinese ecotourism has yet to fully blossom2011-07-20
- Chinese microcredit companies lend 89.4 bln yuan in H12011-07-20
- 2011 Kunming Pan-Asia Stone Expo unveils2011-07-12
- Chinese telecom giant ambitious to lead 4G mobile technology2011-07-12
- Chinese consumer confidence drops in June2011-07-12
- 2011 Kunming Pan-Asian Stone Expo to open on July 102011-07-01
- Chinese tourism to Japan rebounds2011-06-28
- Chinese tourists are biggest spenders in Australia2011-06-10
- Interview: Chinese economy to have soft landing: Swedish bank senior economist2011-05-11
- Chinese property developers struggle as gov't cools market2011-05-09
- Chinese firms to face global challenges2011-05-06
- Chinese firms face trade, investment barriers2011-04-26
- Chinese official calls for restructuring of SMEs due to rising production costs2011-04-25
- Chinese vice premier urges balanced trade2011-04-18
- Chinese stocks close higher on tourism, financial sectors2011-04-14
- Chinese firm opens technology training center in Indonesian college2011-04-12
- Chinese gov't boosts the bond markets2011-04-11
- Chinese M&A to focus on domestic consolidation2011-03-30
- China's economy for kids to double within 5 years: report2011-03-28
- China’s ZTE successfully bid for Malaysia wireless network2011-03-19
- 2011 Southeast Asia Trade Fair to be held in Shuifu County2011-03-17
- Entrepreneurs of Chinese province, Myanmar hold business meeting in Yangon2011-03-15
- Chinese mobile phones will be able to use in Myanmar2011-02-11
- Kunming’s total economy value in 2010 rose by 14% over 20092011-01-28
- Non-governmental business delegation of the Economic Corridor of China, Laos and Thailand organized investigation trip to Cambodia (schedule 2)2011-01-28
- Korean Air adds more Seoul-Kunming flights2011-01-15
- 2011 global oil price to top 100 USD2010-12-30
- Chinese banks' November forex surplus hits 45.3 bln USD2010-12-24
- Chinese premier, Pakistani president vow to boost ties2010-12-20
- Chinese, Pakistani PMs hold talks to cement strategic cooperative partnership2010-12-18
- China’s renewable energy firms encouraged to invest in U.S. market2010-12-07
- 2011 new loans expected to decline2010-11-25
- China stocks close higher Wednesday, led by consumer goods producers2010-11-24
- Chinese president puts forward growth proposal at APEC summit2010-11-13
- China, APEC hand in hand towards common development2010-11-11
- Chinese premier meets with Vietnamese Communist Party chief2010-10-30
- Chinese premier calls for deepening East Asian co-op2010-10-30
- Chinese, Indian PMs meet on bilateral relations2010-10-29
- Chinese premier meets with Singaporean counterpart in Hanoi2010-10-29
- Chinese mainland bank sets up 1st representative office in Taiwan2010-09-25
- International fair to tap new energy2010-09-21
- Chinese gov to improve food safety systems2010-09-03
- Chinese Consumer Price Index (CPI) by Region (July 2010)2010-09-03
- Chinese leaders congratulate Vietnam on 65th National Day2010-09-02
- Chinese, Singaporean trade unions vow closer ties2010-09-01
- Chinese tea being under weather threat -- and milk and sugar2010-08-24
- Chinese products moving up the value chain2010-08-23
- Chinese CPI may peak in Aug: economist2010-08-22
- Chinese fifth jade species:Huanglong jade2010-08-17
- Chinese premier urges development of northeastern China2010-08-17
- Chinese fares gain 2.11% Monday, led by coal producers2010-08-16
- Chinese shares close lower midday Thursday2010-08-05
- In record, 54 Chinese firms hit Global 5002010-07-10
- Chinese banks lent 560b yuan in June2010-07-07
- Chinese Tianjin industrial zone wooes Russian investors2010-06-23
- Chinese vice president concludes Bangladesh tour, starts Laos trip2010-06-19
- Chinese vice premier inspects SW China's Yunnan Province2010-06-04
- Chinese production bases rates highest in Asia2010-06-04
- Chinese electric power companies increases investment in ASEAN2007-10-10