Chinese consumer confidence drops in June
The Bankcard Consumer Confidence Index (BCCI), compiled by Xinhua News Agency and China UnionPay, a national bank card association, stood at 86.06 in June, down 0.24 points from the previous year and down 0.05 points from May.
The report attributed the drop in consumer confidence to continuous increases of food prices, represented by agricultural produce prices.
Statistics from the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) showed food prices climbed 14.4 percent in June year-on-year. Pork prices soared the most, 57.1 percent, in June year-on-year.
The inflation data, the Consumer Price Index (CPI), went up 6.4 percent in June year-on-year, a three-year high.
According to data from the Ministry of Agriculture, the wholesale price index of agricultural produce rose to 194.5 at the end of June from 187.2 at the month's beginning -- the largest hike this year.
Meanwhile, consumer spending on non-essential items declined last month, pushing the index lower, the report said.
A string of macroeconomic policies introduced by the government to ease inflationary pressures will help stabilize consumer confidence, the report said.
Xinhua News Agency and China UnionPay started compiling the BCCI index in April 2009. The index is based on bank card transaction data and analyses of structural changes in urban consumption.
- Kunming awarded for best international image2010-10-22
- Chinese president holds talks with Myanmar's top leader on deepening ties2010-09-08
- Chinese, Singaporean presidents vow to bolster ties2010-08-18
- Chinese tourism to Japan rebounds2011-06-28
- Chinese tourists are biggest spenders in Australia2011-06-10
- Interview: Chinese economy to have soft landing: Swedish bank senior economist2011-05-11
- Chinese property developers struggle as gov't cools market2011-05-09
- Chinese firms to face global challenges2011-05-06
- Chinese firms face trade, investment barriers2011-04-26
- Chinese official calls for restructuring of SMEs due to rising production costs2011-04-25
- Chinese vice premier urges balanced trade2011-04-18
- Chinese stocks close higher on tourism, financial sectors2011-04-14
- Chinese firm opens technology training center in Indonesian college2011-04-12
- Chinese gov't boosts the bond markets2011-04-11
- Chinese M&A to focus on domestic consolidation2011-03-30
- China’s ZTE successfully bid for Malaysia wireless network2011-03-19
- Entrepreneurs of Chinese province, Myanmar hold business meeting in Yangon2011-03-15
- Chinese mobile phones will be able to use in Myanmar2011-02-11
- Non-governmental business delegation of the Economic Corridor of China, Laos and Thailand organized investigation trip to Cambodia (schedule 2)2011-01-28
- Korean Air adds more Seoul-Kunming flights2011-01-15
- Chinese banks' November forex surplus hits 45.3 bln USD2010-12-24
- Chinese premier, Pakistani president vow to boost ties2010-12-20
- Chinese, Pakistani PMs hold talks to cement strategic cooperative partnership2010-12-18
- China’s renewable energy firms encouraged to invest in U.S. market2010-12-07
- China stocks close higher Wednesday, led by consumer goods producers2010-11-24
- Chinese president puts forward growth proposal at APEC summit2010-11-13
- China, APEC hand in hand towards common development2010-11-11
- Chinese premier calls for deepening East Asian co-op2010-10-30
- Chinese premier meets with Vietnamese Communist Party chief2010-10-30
- Chinese, Indian PMs meet on bilateral relations2010-10-29
- Chinese premier meets with Singaporean counterpart in Hanoi2010-10-29
- Chinese mainland bank sets up 1st representative office in Taiwan2010-09-25
- International fair to tap new energy2010-09-21
- Chinese gov to improve food safety systems2010-09-03
- Chinese Consumer Price Index (CPI) by Region (July 2010)2010-09-03
- Chinese leaders congratulate Vietnam on 65th National Day2010-09-02
- Chinese, Singaporean trade unions vow closer ties2010-09-01
- Chinese tea being under weather threat -- and milk and sugar2010-08-24
- Chinese products moving up the value chain2010-08-23
- Chinese CPI may peak in Aug: economist2010-08-22
- Chinese fifth jade species:Huanglong jade2010-08-17
- Chinese premier urges development of northeastern China2010-08-17
- Chinese fares gain 2.11% Monday, led by coal producers2010-08-16
- Chinese shares close lower midday Thursday2010-08-05
- In record, 54 Chinese firms hit Global 5002010-07-10
- Chinese banks lent 560b yuan in June2010-07-07
- Chinese Tianjin industrial zone wooes Russian investors2010-06-23
- Chinese vice president concludes Bangladesh tour, starts Laos trip2010-06-19
- Chinese vice premier inspects SW China's Yunnan Province2010-06-04
- Chinese production bases rates highest in Asia2010-06-04
- Chinese electric power companies increases investment in ASEAN2007-10-10