Chinese tourists are biggest spenders in Australia
China is Australia's fastest growing inbound tourism market, currently ranked fourth behind New Zealand, Britain and the United States.
Despite ranking the fourth, the TRA report said Chinese tourists outspent the other four in 2010 to the tune of $3.3 billion.
In 2010, Chinese visitors rose 22 percent from the previous year to 454,000.
Most of them went to the gateway cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth, but 7 percent spent nights in regional Australia.
The report said tropical north Queensland, the New South Wales south coast and Hunter region and outback NSW were the most popular regional destinations.
"Chinese visitors accounted for 13 percent of all international nights spent in outback New South Wales," TRA said in a statement on Thursday.
The Tourism Research forecasting committee said it expects visitor arrivals from China to rise 26 percent to 571,000 in 2012.
In the longer term to 2020, average growth in arrivals of 7.2 percent is forecast with China to become the most valuable inbound market in Australia, and the second largest after New Zealand.
On Wednesday, federal minister for tourism Martin Ferguson unveiled the China 2020 Strategic Plan in a move to capitalize on the expected boom in travel from China.
Tourism Australia also said it is planning to dramatically increase its marketing activity in China, and it was preparing to launch deeper into China and expects to open 11 new offices in China by 2014.
- Kunming awarded for best international image2010-10-22
- Chinese president holds talks with Myanmar's top leader on deepening ties2010-09-08
- Chinese, Singaporean presidents vow to bolster ties2010-08-18
- Interview: Chinese economy to have soft landing: Swedish bank senior economist2011-05-11
- Chinese property developers struggle as gov't cools market2011-05-09
- Chinese firms to face global challenges2011-05-06
- Chinese firms face trade, investment barriers2011-04-26
- Chinese official calls for restructuring of SMEs due to rising production costs2011-04-25
- Chinese vice premier urges balanced trade2011-04-18
- Chinese stocks close higher on tourism, financial sectors2011-04-14
- Chinese firm opens technology training center in Indonesian college2011-04-12
- Chinese gov't boosts the bond markets2011-04-11
- Chinese M&A to focus on domestic consolidation2011-03-30
- China’s ZTE successfully bid for Malaysia wireless network2011-03-19
- Entrepreneurs of Chinese province, Myanmar hold business meeting in Yangon2011-03-15
- Chinese mobile phones will be able to use in Myanmar2011-02-11
- Non-governmental business delegation of the Economic Corridor of China, Laos and Thailand organized investigation trip to Cambodia (schedule 2)2011-01-28
- Korean Air adds more Seoul-Kunming flights2011-01-15
- Chinese banks' November forex surplus hits 45.3 bln USD2010-12-24
- Chinese premier, Pakistani president vow to boost ties2010-12-20
- Chinese, Pakistani PMs hold talks to cement strategic cooperative partnership2010-12-18
- China’s renewable energy firms encouraged to invest in U.S. market2010-12-07
- China stocks close higher Wednesday, led by consumer goods producers2010-11-24
- Chinese president puts forward growth proposal at APEC summit2010-11-13
- China, APEC hand in hand towards common development2010-11-11
- Chinese premier meets with Vietnamese Communist Party chief2010-10-30
- Chinese premier calls for deepening East Asian co-op2010-10-30
- Chinese, Indian PMs meet on bilateral relations2010-10-29
- Chinese premier meets with Singaporean counterpart in Hanoi2010-10-29
- Chinese mainland bank sets up 1st representative office in Taiwan2010-09-25
- International fair to tap new energy2010-09-21
- Chinese gov to improve food safety systems2010-09-03
- Chinese Consumer Price Index (CPI) by Region (July 2010)2010-09-03
- Chinese leaders congratulate Vietnam on 65th National Day2010-09-02
- Chinese, Singaporean trade unions vow closer ties2010-09-01
- Chinese tea being under weather threat -- and milk and sugar2010-08-24
- Chinese products moving up the value chain2010-08-23
- Chinese CPI may peak in Aug: economist2010-08-22
- Chinese fifth jade species:Huanglong jade2010-08-17
- Chinese premier urges development of northeastern China2010-08-17
- Chinese fares gain 2.11% Monday, led by coal producers2010-08-16
- Chinese shares close lower midday Thursday2010-08-05
- China's tourists arrivals in Malaysia surge 28 per2010-08-03
- In record, 54 Chinese firms hit Global 5002010-07-10
- Chinese banks lent 560b yuan in June2010-07-07
- Chinese Tianjin industrial zone wooes Russian investors2010-06-23
- Chinese vice president concludes Bangladesh tour, starts Laos trip2010-06-19
- Chinese vice premier inspects SW China's Yunnan Province2010-06-04
- Chinese production bases rates highest in Asia2010-06-04
- Chinese electric power companies increases investment in ASEAN2007-10-10