Interview: Chinese economy to have soft landing: Swedish bank senior economist
Eklund made the comment in an exclusive interview with Xinhua during the break of a seminar moderated by him and organized by China Alliance in Stockholm on Tuesday.
"I think the inflation problem is mainly short term, if you look at the numbers it is mainly food prices. But I think food prices will start to come down during the spring and the summer, so the short term inflation will come down as well,"Eklund said.
"Because we see the government is trying to massage different companies about their prices, and the tough measures on controlling housing prices also see results, the housing prices is leveling down. So I think China will have a soft landing," he said.
But the problem is the long term credit expansion, he said.
"In the longer term there is a problem with the credit expansion and monetary expansion that was kicked off during the stabilization package two years ago, but the credit expansion slowly comes down too," Eklund said. "So I am not that nervous about long term inflation, I think China can handle that and inflation will come down slowly."
Eklund doesn't think that the American QEII or quantity easing policy directly contributed to inflation in China, but it might indirectly support China's inflation.
"The American monetary policy was something that was necessary to the United States because it was sliding to very deep recessions," Eklund explained.
He said now China is in a period of much rapid growth, which means China's monetary policy has to be different from the United States.
"China as a buffer to the United States of course can always use its currency policy so maybe there is some slight impact, but not that much," Eklund said.
When asked whether or not China's stabilization package was necessary, Eklund said China's package did a great favor to the world.
"China did a great service to the world economy by implementing this huge package. China was the biggest economy that keeps growing during the financial crisis, that truly helped the global economy, so I think China did the world a great service," Eklund said.
He said it is right that the Central Bank of China increases its interest rate now.
"When economy went down because of the United States and financial crisis, China tried to encounter that. Now the economy is moving up again, then you have to deal with the side effect of that, it is a normal way of handling this kind of crisis," Eklund said.
He said two years ago due to the financial crisis, various government gave stimulate packages, but now the world economy is recovering, one has to get out of the exit policy and raise interest rate.
Commenting on China's discussion of increasing salaries, Eklund said it is a good thing.
"There is some risks for inflation in the short term when the salaries increase. But for the long term it is a good thing for China to increase salaries because China needs to increase consumption, to be less reliant on capital intensive growth and rely more on consumption, that is a very important part of changing economic strategy when you think of the 12th five-year plan,"said Eklund.
- Kunming awarded for best international image2010-10-22
- Chinese president holds talks with Myanmar's top leader on deepening ties2010-09-08
- Chinese, Singaporean presidents vow to bolster ties2010-08-18
- Chinese property developers struggle as gov't cools market2011-05-09
- Chinese firms to face global challenges2011-05-06
- Chinese firms face trade, investment barriers2011-04-26
- Chinese official calls for restructuring of SMEs due to rising production costs2011-04-25
- Chinese vice premier urges balanced trade2011-04-18
- Chinese stocks close higher on tourism, financial sectors2011-04-14
- Chinese firm opens technology training center in Indonesian college2011-04-12
- Chinese gov't boosts the bond markets2011-04-11
- Chinese M&A to focus on domestic consolidation2011-03-30
- China's economy for kids to double within 5 years: report2011-03-28
- China’s ZTE successfully bid for Malaysia wireless network2011-03-19
- Entrepreneurs of Chinese province, Myanmar hold business meeting in Yangon2011-03-15
- Chinese mobile phones will be able to use in Myanmar2011-02-11
- Non-governmental business delegation of the Economic Corridor of China, Laos and Thailand organized investigation trip to Cambodia (schedule 2)2011-01-28
- Kunming’s total economy value in 2010 rose by 14% over 20092011-01-28
- Korean Air adds more Seoul-Kunming flights2011-01-15
- Chinese banks' November forex surplus hits 45.3 bln USD2010-12-24
- Chinese premier, Pakistani president vow to boost ties2010-12-20
- Chinese, Pakistani PMs hold talks to cement strategic cooperative partnership2010-12-18
- China’s renewable energy firms encouraged to invest in U.S. market2010-12-07
- China stocks close higher Wednesday, led by consumer goods producers2010-11-24
- Chinese president puts forward growth proposal at APEC summit2010-11-13
- China, APEC hand in hand towards common development2010-11-11
- Chinese premier calls for deepening East Asian co-op2010-10-30
- Chinese premier meets with Vietnamese Communist Party chief2010-10-30
- Chinese premier meets with Singaporean counterpart in Hanoi2010-10-29
- Chinese, Indian PMs meet on bilateral relations2010-10-29
- Chinese mainland bank sets up 1st representative office in Taiwan2010-09-25
- International fair to tap new energy2010-09-21
- Chinese gov to improve food safety systems2010-09-03
- Chinese Consumer Price Index (CPI) by Region (July 2010)2010-09-03
- Chinese leaders congratulate Vietnam on 65th National Day2010-09-02
- Chinese, Singaporean trade unions vow closer ties2010-09-01
- Chinese tea being under weather threat -- and milk and sugar2010-08-24
- Chinese products moving up the value chain2010-08-23
- Chinese CPI may peak in Aug: economist2010-08-22
- Chinese fifth jade species:Huanglong jade2010-08-17
- Chinese premier urges development of northeastern China2010-08-17
- Chinese fares gain 2.11% Monday, led by coal producers2010-08-16
- Chinese shares close lower midday Thursday2010-08-05
- In record, 54 Chinese firms hit Global 5002010-07-10
- Chinese banks lent 560b yuan in June2010-07-07
- Chinese Tianjin industrial zone wooes Russian investors2010-06-23
- Chinese vice president concludes Bangladesh tour, starts Laos trip2010-06-19
- Chinese vice premier inspects SW China's Yunnan Province2010-06-04
- Chinese production bases rates highest in Asia2010-06-04
- Chinese electric power companies increases investment in ASEAN2007-10-10