China's central bank to expand cross-border RMB settlement plan: official
"The PBOC aims to expand its pilot plan nationwide this year and introduce a trial project for cross-border renminbi settlement," Li Bo, director of the Monetary Policy Bureau of the PBOC, said at a meeting held by the China Banking Association.
The Chinese government first allowed cross-border renminbi settlement trials in July 2009 to encourage the internationalization of the Chinese currency.
In June of last year, the government expanded the project to 20 provincial regions.
"The objective of cross-border renminbi trade settlement is to make trading and investing easier and change the currency into a feasible market option through the introduction of supporting policies," Li said.
According to official figures, total cross-border renminbi transactions hit 506.3 billion yuan (77.69 billion U.S. dollars) in 2010, and such transactions reached 360.3 billion yuan in the first quarter of this year.
To facilitate trade and investment, the central bank will continue to promote off-shore renminbi trade settlement and open up the domestic financial market to allow more overseas banks to enter China's interbank market, Li said.
In addition, the central bank will sign currency swap deals with more countries to encourage currency cooperation and promote bilateral trade and investment, he added.
- Bankers at Dianchi forum note nuances settling trade in RMB2010-07-29
- RMB internationalization a delicate issue2010-08-20
- Inauguration of Trail Operation of Yunnan Cross-border RMB Settlement Center in 27th July2010-07-29
- China's central bank foresees weak USD, high commodity prices in 20112011-03-28
- RMB3 bln to be invested for Zhaotong’s industry development2011-03-07
- Survey: RMB popular for overseas settlement2011-01-25
- Thai central bank raises interest rate2011-01-13
- 16 central enterprises enter into Yunnan2011-01-10
- RMB 2 bln put to build Pan-Asia auto parts trade city in Yunnan2010-12-07
- Indonesia's inflation hits 6.33% in Nov2010-12-01
- RMB 107.39 bln from other provinces used in Yunnan in 1st three quarters of 20102010-11-03
- Indonesian central bank to push banks to increase lending2010-08-31
- Central Yunnan Urban Agglomeration Programming puts 4 cities together2010-08-06
- RMB500 million Dalian fund for SMEs2010-06-25