Philippine GDP soars to 20-year high of 7.3 pct
The National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB) said that the growth registered in 2010 was the highest in over 20 years.
The industry sector soared by 12.1 percent, while the services sector rose by 7.1 percent. The El Nino-induced dryspell, however, weigh on the agriculture sector, contracting by 0.5 percent.
"Despite the El Nino and the diminished government spending during the second semester, the domestic economy sizzled to its highest annual GDP growth" NSCB Secretary General Romulo Virola said in a press briefing.
Virola said the global economic recovery boosted manufacturing and exports growth, while the May national elections increased consumer spending.
"The peaceful conduct of the national elections and the renewed trust in government contributed to an economic performance in 2010 that well surpassed the government's target of 5.0 percent to 6.0 percent," he said.
In the fourth quarter alone, the GDP grew 7.1 percent. This was mainly supported by the industry and services sectors that expanded strongly in the last quarter of 2010.
- GDP surge can have drawbacks2011-02-01
- Kunming’s total economy value in 2010 rose by 14% over 20092011-01-28
- Yunnan's GDP hit￥722 bln in 20102011-01-22
- National Economy Showed Good Momentum of Development in 20102011-01-21
- Philippine auto industry expands by 27.2 pct in 20102011-01-12
- Think tank: China economy to grow 9.5% in 20112011-01-11
- Economist: Two to three times interest rate hike likely2011-01-10
- Cambodian national assembly passes ASEAN-India co-op agreement2010-12-29
- Philippine GDP seen to grow 6-7% in 20102010-12-24
- China's Xi'an signs MOU with Cambodia to further enhance economic and trade co-op2010-09-28
- Banks discuss RMB internationalization2010-09-06
- Macao's CPI rises 2.96% July2010-08-20
- World attention to China surpassing Japan in GDP2010-08-19
- FDI inflows into China July up 30 pct2010-08-17
- Economic and trade relations between Cambodia and China very good: Cambodian deputy PM2010-08-15